Wednesday, September 15, 2004

This is one of the coolest things ever

Check out the legend of the "Starbucks Chairs"

I was talking to a friend today about life and society and stuff and I mentioned how the general collective complacency of the world makes me just want to culture jam.

When I was in college, my best friend Josh and I did some rad shit, yo.

For one, along with our friend Eric Ducker, we made this rad magazine called Grail that kicked some serious satirical/investigative ass.

But, more importantly, we fucked with shit.

We went to Wesleyan University, where everyone was a liberal. It was AWWWWESOME. But rife for fucking-with.

I will now reveal what we've only told choice people.

The frosh dining hall, Mocon, was a key place for advertising meetings and events. People would make enormous banners promoting their cause and suspend them from the ceiling so everyone could take notice.

Once, we made a banner that said, "Wesleyan's first meeting of the NRA! Friday at 8, in the campus center."

The reaction was great. People were outraged. YES!

Then we hung a banner that said, "Protest the formation of Wesleyan's first Right-to-Life group!" Because, of course, most people on campus (bless 'em) were Pro-Choice.

We actually got press on that one.

Culture jamming made us happy.

Fuck with the status quo, yo.

This starbucks-chair person? He's exactly the type of person with whom I want to hang.

I quoted this Steven Wright quote at the perma-rad Milo, but I shall repeat:
"I got into an elevator at work and this man followed in after me. I pushed '1' and he just stood there...I said, "Hi, where you going?" He said, "Phoenix." So, I pushed 'Phoenix'. A few seconds later, the doors opened, two tumbleweeds blew in...we were in downtown Phoenix. I looked at him and said, "You know, you're the kind of guy I want to hang around with."

If you want to make me fall in love with you, you can do two things:
1. Play with my hair
2. Be the type of person who gets on the elevator and goes to Phoenix.

No comments: