Saturday, November 06, 2004

Rome Wasn't Built in a Day

The Mountain Goats will make you sing along, goddamnit.

(Thanks to the of mirror eye for the mp3).

This was the last song of The Mountain Goats' incredible set and I think it's just lovely. And also, there is very little that I love more than a singalong hootenanny.

In fact, here's a list of my favorite things:

5. Spontaneous Production Numbers
4. Giddy Excitement
3. A Singalong Hootenanny
2. Science
1. Thinking

Okay, so it's true, I love Science and Thinking slightly more than I love a Singalong Hootenanny. And I think "Making Out" should be on that list somewhere, but I was trying to be discriminate.

"I like soup, and I like ice cream sandwiches, too. I like fish sticks, but I love you." -- that's a lyric from an old Bare Naked Ladies song (once I really loved the Bare Naked Ladies a whole lot; not so much these days, except in a nostalgic way). I don't eat ice cream sandwiches unless they're of the tofutti variety, and I sure as fuck don't eat fish, but I do love soup.

Sometimes I like to sing about all the things I love:
"I love soup and I love taking off my clothes and jumping into rooftop swimming pools, too. I like the wodge of Nestle Quik at the bottom of the glass, and I love Harold Ramis, too. I love Ghostbusters (1 and 2 but not really the cartoon) and I love sparkles and I love the handy-dandy science printer on CSI."

Here is a song about things I do not love:
"I don't like going to the doctor, nor do I like mean people. I also don't particularly care for crying babies, and I don't like ricotta cheese, not one whit. I really dislike homophobes and I am not really fond of my nose and I have very vitriolic feelings of incredible hatred directed at President Bush."

And I love singing along with John Darnielle about heading to D-land and peeling oranges and sharing slices with your father and being extra careful not to drip juice on the fine Corinthian leather, because Rome wasn't built in a day.

No comments: