Monday, March 14, 2005

This Here's a Dead Parrot


Beware the Ides of March, originally uploaded by starbexxx.



I went to the very lovely Meredith Zeitlin's house on Saturday night for an Ides of March Party -- those of you who watch lots of VH1 (and who doesn't?) will recognize Mizz Zeitlin's voice from most of our celebreality promos. Anyhoo, my pal Steve was also there and he took lots of pictures. I think I was attempting to be sassy in this photo, but I look a bit like a monster instead.

Because I've vowed not to be one of those Dear-Mr.-Henshaw bloggers, I'll spare you the minutiae of my AWESOME weekend, which was really just fantabulously AWESOME in every way, shape and/or form, but I'd like to share a small anecdote with you:

So my parents went to see a Sunday matinee of "12 Angry Men" with their friends, the Simons. I haven't seen the Simons in ages, but our families were really close when I was growing up. Anyway, the Simons' house was always really loud because they had all these parrots and cockatiels who squawked all the time. So I asked the Simons how their birds were doing, and Mrs. Simon revealed that Spunky (one of the cockatiels) died several years ago, but he's still in their freezer (in a ziploc bag). Apparently, the bird died while one of the Simons' kids was in Italy and so Mrs. Simon wanted to keep the bird around so that the daughter could say goodbye to it when she got home. But that was four years ago. And the bird is still in the freezer. In a ziploc bag. YES, there's a fucking frozen parrot in their freezer (and it's not pining for the fjords). A parrot-sicle. Mrs. Simon claims she's waiting for the spring thaw to bury the bird. I think perhaps she takes it out of the freezer and talks to it, but then puts in back in the freezer before it defrosts.

No comments: